Thursday, January 24, 2013

This is my first post!  This blog will be a mixture of things.  I might occasionally review a classic movie or old TV series because I find that so many people haven't seen certain things that used to be a part of the national lingo but are now not even heard of.  For example, I was talking to some friends awhile back and asked if they liked Lassie or Flipper better when they were kids.  I watched these old shows every so often when I was young because they were on Nickelodeon.  But one of the people I was talking to had never heard of Flipper.  So I might occasionally give people a digested view of some of these old shows for culture references.  Also, I wanted to do a thing where I show how distorted reality is concerning fast food.  Specifically, how ads and commercials portray beautiful people eating beautiful food.  I wanted to take a picture of what the actual food looks like and see if it compares in look, portion size and taste.  I have a friend who will help with this as I don't eat much fast food anymore.  I've cut back to lose weight and have lost about 30 pounds since October of last year.  So this will be to show how dishonest restaurants media campaigns can be.  Finally, I work in the Student Center and would like to share with people what goes on this unique building.  This would include services, activities, and some crazy personal experiences I have had.  For example today I saw the man who wrote Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s historic "I Have A Dream Speech".  This is, arguably, one of the most important speeches given in the 20th Century.  And I laid eyes on him.  Today.  This would be like someone 100 years ago laying eyes on the person who wrote the Gettysburg Address!  Of course that would be Abraham Lincoln, who not only gave the address but also composed it.  And of course he was killed back in the 1860s, so he couldn't be alive in 1913 . . .   But anyway, it was very cool to see Clarence Jones, the man who wrote the "I Have A Dream"  speech back in the 1960s.  Now tonight another activity is taking place.  It starts at 10 or 10:30 pm.  Last year it started much earlier, around 7.  It was kind of scary as the people charged past me, pursuing others who were also armed with guns.  The people in the cafeteria were nervous as the gunmen rushed past.  Middle aged ladies coming down the hall on their way to or from night classes were disturbed by all the gunmen rushing about pointing weapons at them.  If this doesn't bother you then by all means come and participate in laser tag, usually every Tuesday and Thursday at 10 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment